The U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT) has just unveiled their new nationwide ad to raise awareness about the dangers of drunk driving. Their holiday-themed Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over ad was set to run in movie theaters prior to the new Star Wars move, The Force Awakens. Viewers across the country are expected to turn out for the movie, and see the new public safety awareness advertisement as well. Officials with the U.S. DOT and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) are urging drivers to stay off of the roads if they’ve been drinking this holiday season, and all year long.
Drunk Driving Prevention and Enforcement
This time of year, state and local law enforcement agencies will be stepping up efforts to prevent drunk driving crashes and catch drunk drivers. In addition to public safety campaigns, police officers and state troopers will be out in full force looking for offenders. Not only can you avoid putting lives at risk, you can also avoid a costly DUI by staying off the road if you’ve been drinking.
Drunk Driving Crash Facts
• In December of 2014, 788 lives were lost due to alcohol impaired driving.
• During the 2013 holiday enforcement period (December 18-31), 1,180 people died in car crashes.
• 30 percent of those deaths happened in drunk driving crashes.
• The rate of alcohol impairment among drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2014 was almost four times higher at night than during the day.
• Among the 9,967 alcohol-impaired-driving deaths in 2014, 69 percent were in crashes in which at least one driver in the crash had a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .15 or higher.
Accidents Involving Impaired Drivers
Car accidents involving alcohol or drug impaired drivers can leave victims in the hospital for extended periods of time. You could be out of a job and trying to make ends meet during the holiday season. After any kind of car accident caused by somebody else’s negligent or willfully dangerous behavior, it’s a good idea to speak with a personal injury attorney. If you have been injured or if you have lost a loved one in an accident involving an alcohol impaired driver in San Jose, San Francisco or in any of the surrounding areas, contact the skilled personal injury lawyers at Alexander Law Group, LLP at 888.777.1776 for a free consultation today.