Although some patients recover fully from traumatic brain injuries (TBI), many do not. TBI can completely change the course of a person’s life forever. Victims and their families may struggle for years to adjust to a new course, one in which even relatively simple tasks require planning, organization, and direction.
If you are concerned about a recent brain injury, the most important thing you can do is to be evaluated right away by a medical professional. Timely evaluation and treatment are critical both to recovery and to a lawsuit, should one be necessary.
TBI should be considered when a person is hit in the head, when the head is punctured, or when a person loses consciousness after an accident. In some cases, the victim will have obvious physical impairments. When physical impairments are present, TBI is more likely to be diagnosed. Here are some of the physical signs that should cause medical professionals to consider whether a brain injury is present:
- Liquid “coming out of the ears or nose”;
- Total or partial loss of consciousness, regardless of duration, and coma;
- Dilated pupils or pupils of different sizes;
- Difficulty walking due to dizziness or balance problems;
- Failure to breathe or slowed breathing;
- Total or partial paralysis;
- Loss of urine or bowel control; and
- Trouble speaking properly.
When no physical impairments are present, it can be more difficult to detect and properly diagnose TBI. Here are some signs that may indicate a possible TBI:
- Changes in vision, including blurriness, blindness, and seeing double;
- Feeling dizzy;
- Feeling tired;
- Changes in hearing, such as ringing in the ears;
- Trouble thinking or remembering clearly; and
- Emotional responses that are exaggerated or inappropriate under the circumstances.
The San Francisco personal injury attorneys at Alexander Law Group, LLP will fervently work with you to procure all possible monetary compensation for you after your brain injury. Our goal is to help our clients and their families receive proper compensation for their pain and suffering. You can reach one of our San Francisco personal injury attorneys at 888.777.1776. Alternatively, you can our online contact form and we will get back to you promptly.