Editor’s note: This information is provided as a service to our visitors by Alexander Law Group, LLP, LLP. Should you wish to visit the National Institute for Consumer Education, you may do so by choosing this link (http://www.emich.edu/public/coe/nice/nice.shtml).
The National Institute for Consumer Education is a service arm of the College of Education at Eastern Michigan University. NICE is a professional development center and resource clearinghouse in consumer, economic and personal finance education.
The mission of NICE is to empower people through education to become informed consumers, reasoned decision makers and participating citizens in a global marketplace. Since its establishment in 1973, NICE has served as an advocate for consumer education in the nationþs schools, workplaces and communities.
NICE strengthens and promotes consumer education in the following ways:
* conducts professional development courses, conferences, workshops andpresentations for classroom teachers and other educators
* manages a library and clearinghouse of educational materials, including videos,teaching guides, software, periodicals, reports, pamphlets and books.
* publishes educational materials including teaching guides, newsletters, annotatedresource lists and research reports
* provides consultant services to individuals, agencies, organizations andcorporations in the development of educational programs and materials.
* serves as a catalyst for public policy support of consumer, economic and personalfinance education.
Target audiences include K-12 classroom teachers, adult and community educators and college faculty and students. In addition, NICE works with business and labor educators, government service providers and the media to further its goal of strengthening and promoting consumer education.
Since 1976, NICE has served as an Economic Education Center at Eastern Michigan University, in the network of university centers of the National Council on Economic Education.
Since 1991, NICE has served as the Adjunct ERIC Clearinghouse for Consumer Education, a national information system for education practitioners operated by the United States Department of Education.
Eastern Michigan University provides basic operational funds for NICE. Additional support comes from corporations, associations, foundations, governments and individuals through grants, contracts, fees and contributions. Funding sources include:
American Cyanamid Company
American Express Foundation
AT&T Universal Card Services Corp.
Avon Products Foundation
Consumers Power Company
Dayton- Hudson Department Stores
Ford Motor Company Fund
General Motors Corporation
Hygrade Food Products
La-Z-Boy Chair Company
Michigan Association of Insurance Companies
Michigan Department of Education
National Council on Economic Education
National Council on Life Insurance
National Futures Association
NCCE/AT&T Credit Education Fund
Proctor & Gamble
SOCAP, Great Lakes Chapter
Synovus Financial Corporation
The Hastings Group
TRW Information Services
U.S. Department of Education
National Institute for Consumer Education
207 Rackham Building
Ypsilanti, MI 48197